Make these easy Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies for any FUN celebration! Yes, they’re bright and beautiful to look at, but also insanely tasty, moist, and chewy.
This post is all about how to make Easy Funfetti Cookies with Cake Mix.
Making Funfetti cookies is always a fantastic idea because they spread joy on birthdays, Easter, or any time someone needs cheering up! They’re deliciously yummy, super easy to make, and only require 3 INGREDIENTS.
Also, these are not just-for-kids cookies. Adults will gobble them up too! That’s a guarantee.
Decorating these Funfetti cake mix cookies can take several unique directions depending on the sprinkles you choose, frosting (which is optional), or keeping these simple on the outside. Whichever creative path you take, they will be delicious and LOVED by all.
I’m celebrating my niece’s fourth birthday this weekend, and you can bet I’m taking the rainbow sprinkle creative route because the girl is obsessed with rainbows and sprinkles. So, let’s jump into the recipe’s details and all the decorating possibilities so you too can spread some cheer with these tasty, tender Funfetti cookie treats!
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
Easy 3-Ingredient Cookie Recipe:
- 1 Box Of Funfetti Cake Mix – Any brand will do, think Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pillsbury. Each box contains a little over 15 ounces of mix. You will notice Pillsbury is the only cake mix that uses the title Funfetti. Betty Crocker’s version is called Rainbow Chip and Duncan Hines calls theirs Rainbow Confetti cake mix. Any version will work perfectly for this recipe.
- Vegetable Oil, 1/2 cup
- (OPTIONAL ingredient, but highly recommended) White Chocolate Chips or Funfetti Chips, 1.5 cups – You can use any brand of course, but Ghirardelli’s premium white baking chips are the best or check out Nestle Toll House Funfetti baking chips!
- (OPTIONAL ingredient) Sprinkles of any kind to coat the outside of the cookie. Whether your making these for Christmas, Birthday, Easter, or Valentine’s Day you can adjust the sprinkle colors to fit that occasion.
Side Note: While adding frosting to the cookies tastes delicious, it does add to the sweetness factor. If you’re not a fan of Christmas sugar cookies decorated with frosting, then you might want to hold off on adding this optional topping, especially if you added white baking chips to the cookie dough.
- Spoonula Spatula (optional)
- Cookie Scoop, equivalent to 1.5 tablespoons (optional).
How To Make Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies, Step-By-Step
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Add the Funfetti cake mix, vegetable oil, and beaten eggs to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly. FYI, the batter will be sticky.
Step 3: Add the optional white or Funfetti baking chips to the batter and mix.
Step 4: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add a heaping spoonful (about 1.5 tablespoons) of Funfetti cake mix cookie dough to the sheet. Use a cookie scoop (for an accurate 1.5 tablespoons). Use a spoonula spatula for effectively scraping down the sides of the bowl. Space each cookie two inches apart. You should get about 20 cookies.
Step 5: Decorate the tops of the cookies with optional sprinkles at this time.
Step 6: Bake for 11-12 minutes until edges are golden brown at 350 degrees F.
Step 7: Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. The cookies must cool completely on the rack.
FAQs On Easy Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
How Can I Get The Sprinkles On The Cookies To Look Like The Picture Above?
If you want your cookies to look evenly sprinkled, chill the dough for two hours, then roll the dough into balls (1.5 tablespoons of dough per ball). Next, roll the cookie dough balls into a bowl of sprinkles until they are covered. Lastly, place the sprinkled balls onto the baking sheet (2 inches apart) and into the oven for 11 to 12 minutes.
Does This Cake Mix Cookie Recipe Taste Good With Only 3 Ingredients?
Yes! These cookies taste delicious without extra sprinkles, white chocolate chips, or frosting.
Is Funfetti Cake Mix The Same As Rainbow Chip Or Bit?
They are essentially the same thing. Pillsbury calls their cake mix “Funfetti” while Betty Crocker named hers “Rainbow Chip” or some refer to it as Rainbow Bit. According to cake mix experts, the Pillsbury brand wins over Betty Crocker, while Duncan Hines “Confetti” cake mix takes the #1 spot for tasting the best.
What Is The Difference Between Funfetti and Confetti Cake Mix?
There is no difference other than the names. Pillsbury’s Funfetti cake mix is quite popular as they own the trademark name. However, experts say Duncan Hines Confetti Cake mix tastes better.
But Does Funfetti Cake Taste Different As In Better?
According to Mashed, Pillsbury’s Funfetti cake mix ranks higher than other brands, and FYI many cake brands have come up with their version of Funfetti cake. But as mentioned earlier, Duncan Hines Confetti Cake beat out Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, and many more for tasting addictively delicious.
Can You Turn Cookie Mix Into Cake?
So Which Cake Mix Brand Is Best For This Recipe? Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, or Duncan Hines?
According to experts, Duncan Hines is the best tasting overall, with Pillsbury second and Betty Crocker third.
Are Funfetti Cookies Great For Easter?
They are perfect for Easter! Add some Easter Pastel-colored m&m’s to the cookie dough (1.5 cups) instead of the optional white chocolate chips.
Should I Make Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies With Butter Or Oil?
While some Funfetti cookie recipes call for butter, I have found that using oil for this recipe makes a moister and chewier cookie.
What Is The Difference Between Funfetti and Vanilla Cake?
They are essentially the same thing, but Funfetti has the colored chips/sprinkles included in the mix. Add two tablespoons of sprinkles to a vanilla cake mix and follow this recipe’s instructions for Funfetti cake mix cookies. It’s that simple!
How Would I Store Funfetti Cookies?
These cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for about one week. To ensure moist cookies toss in 1/2 slice of bread (any kind) before sealing the container. The cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread, which keeps them nice and soft.
Do I Have To Chill The Dough?
You’ll only need to chill the dough if you plan to form the cookie dough into balls to roll each one evenly into the sprinkles. Chilling the dough makes it manageable and less sticky.
Can I Freeze These Cookies?
Do I Need To Add Sprinkles To Funfetti Cookies?
It’s unnecessary to add sprinkles, but they do add extra color and brightness!
Should I Put Sprinkles On These Cookies Before Or After Baking?
Add the sprinkles before baking the cookies for this particular recipe. Of course, if you’re adding frosting to the baked cookies and want to add sprinkles on top of the fresh frosting, you should wait until after the cookies have baked.
More Easy Variation Cake Mix Cookie Recipes:
- Big Funfetti Cookies – Instead of using a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop, use 2 to 2.5 tablespoons of dough for each cookie to make them BIG.
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies With White Chocolate Chips – Follow this recipe and add 1.5 cups of Ghirardelli white chocolate chips to the mix before baking. It is DELICIOUS!
- Cream Cheese Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies – Decorate these funfetti cookies with cream cheese frosting and add a few sprinkles on top. I would not add any baking chips to the dough if your adding frosting.
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Mat
- Cooling Rack
- Spoonula Spatula (optional)
- Cookie Scoop, 1.5 tbsp (optional)
Ingredients For Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 Box of Funfetti Cake Mix, 15-16 ounces.
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs, beaten.
- 1.5 cups White Chocolate Chips or Funfetti Chips, OPTIONAL.
Ingredients For Optional Decorating
- Optional Sprinkles for decoration. Add sprinkles to each cookie before baking.
- Optional Frosting for decoration. Add any flavor frosting to each baked cookie and top with sprinkles.
How To Make Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the Funfetti cake mix, vegetable oil, and beaten eggs to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly. FYI, the batter will be sticky.
- Add the optional white or Funfetti baking chips to the batter and mix.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add a heaping spoonful (about 1.5 tablespoons) of Funfetti cake mix cookie dough to the sheet. Use a cookie scoop (for an accurate 1.5 tablespoons). Use a spoonula spatula for effectively scraping down the sides of the bowl. Space each cookie two inches apart. You should get about 20 cookies.
- Decorate the tops of the cookies with optional sprinkles at this time.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes until edges are golden brown at 350 degrees F.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. It’s essential the cookies cool completely on the rack.
Final Thoughts On Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies are great for all ages, and the kiddos will have FUN decorating these sprinkled treats! Remember to switch up the sprinkle colors (if you’re adding extra sprinkles, which is optional) for each holiday or occasion.