Be prepared to wow your family and friends with these addictive Lemon Crinkle Cookies! They’re delicious, moist, and an all-time favorite.
This post is all about how to make this easy Lemon Crinkle Cookies Recipe.
People go crazy for Lemon Crinkle Cookies because they’re soft, tender, and bursting with sweet citrus flavor. While lemons might make you think of Spring and Summer, place these on a holiday cookie platter at Christmas time and watch them disappear almost instantly.
So, what makes this lemon cookie recipe a crinkle cookie? Since they’re rolled in powdered sugar before heading to the oven, cracks are formed as they expand and bake. Because this recipe only calls for four ingredients, the main one being a box of lemon cake mix, it’s probably one of the easiest cookie recipes out there.
Of course, many crinkle cookie recipes call for more advanced ingredients like lemon zest and extract, but because a lemon cake mix is so delicious, we won’t need any of those extra, fancy elements. Be sure to allow a two-hour chill time for the dough because if not, it will be impossible to roll into a ball and then into the powdered sugar.
Let’s get into more recipe details so you can start enjoying these chewy, lemon crinkle cookies ASAP. The step-by-step instructions are so simple to follow!
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Easy Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 Box Of Lemon Cake Mix – Any brand will do, think Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pillsbury. Each box contains a little over 15 ounces of mix.
- Vegetable Oil, 1/2 cup
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- Powdered Sugar, 1/2 cup
- White Chocolate Chips, 1 cup (OPTIONAL) – You can use any brand of course, but Ghirardelli’s premium chips are the best!
Side Note: Traditional crinkle cookie recipes DO NOT call for chocolate chips of any flavor. However, these lemon cookies taste deliciously divine when they’re included! Again, please keep in mind that the white chocolate chips are OPTIONAL.
- Small Bowl for powdered sugar.
- Spoonula Spatula (optional)
- Cookie Scoop, equivalent to 1.5 tablespoons. (optional but helpful)
How To Make This Lemon Crinkle Cookies Recipe, Step-By-Step
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Add the lemon cake mix, vegetable oil, and beaten eggs to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly. FYI, the batter will be sticky.
Step 3: Add the OPTIONAL white chocolate chips to the batter at this time and mix.
Step 4: Chill the dough in the refrigerator for two hours. If you don’t chill the dough, it will be too sticky and unmanageable to form a ball, which means it will be impossible to roll the cookie dough ball in powdered sugar. You can chill the dough overnight.
Step 5: After chilling, scoop and roll the dough into balls. Each ball should be about 1.5 tablespoons of dough. Use a cookie scoop (for an accurate 1.5 tablespoons). Use a spoonula spatula for effectively scraping down the sides of the bowl. You should get 20 balls.
Step 6: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone mat. Coat each cookie dough ball generously in powdered sugar and place it on the baking sheet. Space each cookie two inches apart. Again, you should get 20 cookies.
Step 7: Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Step 8: Allow the lemon crinkle cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. It’s essential to let the cookies cool completely on the rack.
FAQs For Lemon Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies
Why Are My Lemon Crinkle Cookies Not Crinkled?
Some crinkle cookie recipes call for a baking heat of 375 degrees F, which is too high for these cookies and will affect the crinkling process. Stick with a temperature of 350 degrees F. Also, if you do not take the time to chill the dough, this could make the cookies not crinkle.
The powdered sugar adds a dry crust to the soft cookie, so as it bakes and expands, the dry sugar crust cracks and pulls apart.
Can I Freeze Crinkle Cookies?
Yes! Be sure to let them cool entirely before placing them in an airtight container to freeze. If stored correctly, the cookies should stay fresh in the freezer for six months.
But Can Lemon Crinkle Cookies Be Frozen?
Absolutely! The same (freezing storing) rules apply for all crinkle cookies, no matter the flavor.
Are Lemon Crinkle Cookies Gluten-Free?
Unfortunately, this recipe is not gluten-free. However, there are cake mixes on the market that are gluten-free, and you could substitute one of those for this recipe. Check out gluten-free cake mixes here.
Are These Lemon Crinkle Cookies Award-Winning?
This recipe hasn’t won any awards yet, but I fully expect it to in the future. Ha!
Does The Cake Mix Make These Lemon Crinkles Extra Chewy?
The cake mix used in this recipe helps make the cookies extra pillowy and soft. The oil adds moisture to the cookies, making them extra chewy and delicious.
Is This Cookie Recipe Vegan?
No, this particular lemon crinkle cookie recipe is not vegan.
Does This Lemon Crinkle Cookie Recipe Call For Lemon Extract?
This recipe calls for four ingredients to keep things simple! No need for lemon extract or lemon zest.
Do I Have To Add Oil For Lemon Crinkles?
While some crinkle cookie recipes call for butter, I have found that using oil for this recipe makes a moister and chewier crinkle cookie.
Could I Use Cool Whip For These Lemon Cake Mix Cookies?
Some rare recipes call for 8 ounces of whipped cream instead of vegetable oil, and instead of two eggs, you would use one. I’ve never tried it this way, but I imagine the cookies might not be as moist without the oil.
What Is The Best Lemon Cake Mix? Duncan Hines Or Betty Crocker?
According to expert taste testers who specifically ranked the best and worst lemon cake mixes, you can’t go wrong with a classic box of Betty Crocker.
How Do You Make Crinkles In These Cookies Again?
Making crinkles is so easy! Chill the dough, roll each cookie dough ball generously in powdered sugar, and set the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
Why Do You Have To Chill The Cookie Dough?
If you don’t chill the lemon cookie dough, it will be too sticky and unmanageable to form balls. The chilling process allows you to create cookie dough balls quickly and makes them easy to roll in the powdered sugar.
Where Do Crinkle Cookies Come From?
Some research suggests crinkle cookies are a popular snack among children in the Philippines. Betty Crocker claims in her cookbook, ‘Cooky Carnival,’ that Helen Fredell from St. Paul, Minnesota, invented these cookies in the early half of the 20th Century. In-depth research is limited for whether both of these theories are true.
How Do I Store Lemon Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies?
These cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for about one week. To ensure moist cookies toss in 1/2 slice of bread (any kind) before sealing the container. The cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread, which keeps them nice and soft.
Different Variation Flavors For Crinkle Cookies
- Strawberry Crinkle Cookies – Follow the recipe below but replace the lemon mix with strawberry.
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – Follow the recipe below but replace the lemon mix with chocolate cake mix.
Lemon Crinkle Cookies Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper or a Silicone Mat
- Cooling Rack
- Small Bowl, for powdered sugar.
- Spoonula Spatula (optional)
- Cookie Scoop, equivalent to 1.5 tbsp, (optional).
Ingredients For Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- 1 Box Of Lemon Cake Mix, 15-16 ounces.
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup White Chocolate Chips, OPTIONAL.
How To Make Lemon Crinkle Cookies, Step-By-Step
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the lemon cake mix, vegetable oil, and beaten eggs to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly. FYI, the batter will be sticky.
- Add the OPTIONAL white chocolate chips to the batter at this time and mix.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for two hours. If you don’t chill the dough, it will be too sticky and unmanageable to form a ball, which means it will be impossible to roll the cookie dough ball in powdered sugar. You can chill the dough overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone mat. Coat each cookie dough ball generously in powdered sugar and place it on the baking sheet. Space each cookie two inches apart. Again, you should get 20 cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Allow the lemon crinkle cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. It’s essential to let the cookies cool completely on the rack.
Final Thoughts On This Easy Lemon Crinkle Cookies Recipe
Lemon Crinkle Cookies are amazingly delicious! Let me know if you enjoyed this recipe in the comments below. Happy Crinkle Cookie Making!