Refreshingly cold, sweet, and sour with a spicy kick, these Mexican Candy Shots give a whole new boozy meaning to the Mexican lollipop!
This post is all about how to make Mexican Candy Shots.
Mexican Candy Shots are the boozy party libations you didn’t know you needed! They’re insanely delicious and mind-blowing in the best way. This drink recipe calls for watermelon pucker schnapps, tequila, fresh lime juice, hot sauce, and Tajin for added salty, spicy undertones.
This shot recipe originated from the Mexican lollipop, a favorite spicy candy with a fruit-flavored center, with the most popular varieties being watermelon, mango, and strawberry. So, what happens when you add silver or gold tequila? Only GREAT things.
Once the ingredients are mixed thoroughly with ice, you’ll have a shot that’s so icy cold and unbelievably tasty. Pour it up in a cold glass rimmed with Tajin and sugar and garnish each one with a fresh lime wedge or piece of watermelon. If you’d prefer to make this into a Mexican Candy drink, just double the ingredients.
Enjoy and serve this sweet and spicy cocktail all year, specifically on a hot summer day. Let’s get into all the drink details and tips so you can start serving these delicious shots!
Mexican Candy Shots
What Is A Mexican Candy Paleta Shot Made Of?
If you desire to substitute the bottled schnapps with fresh watermelon juice, that is an option. I love the taste of the sweet and sour watermelon pucker. Because it is a liqueur, it complements the tequila’s flavor and ups the alcoholic percentage. Remember, this is a shot recipe.
As mentioned earlier, the other ingredients include fresh lime juice, a sugar-Tajin rim, and hot sauce. If you cannot stand much spice, DO NOT worry! While the spice is detected in this shot, it’s not powerful or overwhelming.
What Is The Standard Shot Glass Size For The United States?
The standard shot glass size for the United States is 1.5 ounces, and this recipe adheres to that amount. Click here to read what a standard shot size is for other countries.
Mexican Candy Shooter Ingredients:
These are the ingredients I used to make these shots, aka shooters. If you wish to use silver tequila or vodka, you can, and of course, there’s the option to use fresh watermelon juice instead of schnapps. After trial and error, I found the exact ingredients listed below made a perfect Mexcian Candy Shot.
- Ice (Shake with crushed ice if possible, so the shot or drink has the perfect icy film.)
- Fresh Lime Wedges or Lime Juice
- Tajin is a chili-lime salt. (for the rim)
- Sugar (for the rim)
Equipment You’ll Need:
- Sharp knife if you’re cutting limes.
- Small bowl for the Tajin and sugar mix.
How Do You Make Tequila Shots Taste Better?
If you’ve ever wondered if there was more to a tequila shot besides salt and limes, this recipe is for you! Read below for the step-by-step process of making these easy tequila candy shots.
How To Make Mexican Candy Shots, Step-By-Step
Step 1: Serving icy cold shots should always be a priority! Chill your glasses for at least 30 minutes before adding Tajin/sugar around the rims and pouring up the shot.
Step 2: Once you know your shot glasses are icy cold, grab a friend if you can to make this process go quickly and for taste-testing (the fun part!). Add equal amounts of Tajin and sugar to a small bowl and mix. The amounts will vary depending on how many Mexican Candy Shots you make. If it’s just for two people, add about a teaspoon of Tajin and a teaspoon of sugar to the bowl and mix.
Step 3: Grab a quarter of fresh lime or wet the corner of a napkin or kitchen towel with lime juice and run the lime or towel around the top rim of the shot glass until it’s wet. Tip the glass into the Tajin and sugar mixture. Click here for more details on how to rim a glass correctly.
Step 4: Add crushed ice or ice to a martini shaker. Next, add 1.5 ounces of tequila (equals one U.S. shot), 1.5 ounces of watermelon schnapps (equals one U.S. shot), 2 to 3 dashes of hot sauce, and one-quarter of lime squeezed, or two dashes of lime juice. Shake the ingredients well and pour them into the shot glasses. This recipe will make two standard shots.
*It’s optional to serve the shot with a garnish of lime or watermelon.
Step 5: Enjoy the shots immediately while they’re icy cold! I can’t reiterate this enough because this shot/drink tastes the BEST icy cold, just like when you enjoy an icy paleta popsicle.
FAQs For This Mexican Candy Shot Recipe
What Does A Mexican Candy Shot Taste Like?
A Mexican Candy Shot tastes cold, sweet, refreshing, and tangy with a kick of spice!
What Is A Mexican Candy Shot?
It originated from the Mexican paleta popsicle and the Mexican lollipop; however, it does contain alcohol. Silver or Gold Tequila is often used in this shot recipe.
What Kind Of Hot Sauce Should I Use?
This is entirely up to you! I’ve used Cholula sauce and Tabasco sauce, which both worked great.
Can You Make Mexican Candy Shots With Vodka?
Yes! Just substitute tequila for vodka.
Do I Need A Cocktail Shaker To Make This Drink?
Not necessarily, but you will need something to shake up the drink’s ingredients. Use a coffee tumbler with a lid if a shaker is not available.
Do Mexican Candy Shots Made With Watermelon Liqueur Contain Alcohol?
Yes! Watermelon Pucker schnapps does contain alcohol with a volume of about 15%.
Can I Add Mango To This Mexican Shot Instead Of Watermelon?
Yes! You can substitute the watermelon for mango schnapps or juice if you wish.
How Can I Make A Mexican Candy Drink Instead Of A Shot?
Just double the ingredients for this recipe, and you’ll have a Mexican Candy drink.
Can This Mexican Candy Shot Be Made With Chamoy?
Definitely! Chamoy is a popular Mexican condiment made with dehydrated fruit, chili powder, salt, sugar, and citrus juice. Use Chamoy instead of the hot sauce for this recipe.
What Is Mexican Candy?
Mexican candy has a fruity center, such as watermelon, mango, or strawberry, and it’s coated with a spicy, sour outer layer.
Can I Serve This On Cinco De Mayo?
Of course! And throughout the year because it’s so delicious!
What Kind Of Juice Is Best For Mexican Candy Shots?
Watermelon is the most popular juice or schnapps used for this recipe but some substitute that with mango or strawberry.
Tips For Making The Best Mexican Candy Shot
- Serve COLD
- Crushed Ice gives the shot that icy film.
- Avoid putting in too much hot sauce. Follow the recipe for a perfect Mexican Candy Shot.
- Use a dash of simple syrup if this drink is not sweet enough. Although I’ve never thought it wasn’t sweet enough.
- If you prefer, you can add a sugared rim only and leave out the Tajin, or you can leave out the sugar.
Variations You May Try:
- Mexican Candy Shot With Vodka
- Mexican Candy Shot With Chamoy Instead of Traditional Hot Sauce
- Mexican Candy Shot With Strawberry Schnapps Or Juice
- Mexican Candy Shot With Mango Schnapps Or Juice
Mexican Candy Shots
- 1 Martini or Cocktail Shaker
- Shot Glasses – should hold 1.5 ounces
- Sharp Knife – if you're cutting limes.
- Small bowl or plate – for the Tajin and sugar mix.
- Measuring spoons
Mexican Candy Shooter Ingredients For Two Shots
- 1.5 ounces Gold Tequila
- 1.5 ounces Watermelon Pucker Schnapps
- 2-3 dashes Hot Sauce
- 2 dashes Lime Juice or one-quarter lime squeezed.
- Ice – preferably crushed.
- 1 tsp Tajin (for the rim of the shot glass)
- 1 tsp Sugar (for the rim of the shot glass)
How To Make Mexican Candy Shots, Step-By-Step
- Serving icy cold shots should always be a priority! Chill your glasses for at least 30 minutes before adding Tajin/sugar around the rims and pouring up the shot.
- Once you know your shot glasses are icy cold, grab a friend if you can to make this process go quickly and for taste-testing (the fun part!). Add equal amounts of Tajin and sugar to a small bowl and mix. The amounts will vary depending on how many Mexican Candy Shots you’re making. If it’s just for two people, add about a teaspoon of Tajin and a teaspoon of sugar to the bowl and mix.
- Add crushed ice or ice to a martini shaker. Next, add 1.5 ounces of tequila (equals one U.S. shot), 1.5 ounces of watermelon schnapps (equals one U.S. shot), 2 to 3 dashes of hot sauce, and 1 quarter of lime squeezed, or 2 dashes of lime juice. Shake the ingredients well and pour them into the shot glasses. This recipe will make two standard shots.
Final Thoughts On Mexican Candy Shots
Mexican Candy Shots are insanely delicious, and you will not be disappointed, in fact, you might become obsessed! And if you need to substitute an ingredient, there are different variations to accommodate your needs.
Please share this recipe with your friends and family on social media if you become obsessed. Follow career girl meets… on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for more home decor ideas, recipes, and gift guides.
More Related Drink Recipes:
ALCOHOL DISCLAIMER: We do not advocate or encourage the abuse of alcoholic beverages, so you are solely responsible for any damages resulting to you or anyone else based on our recommendations or due to the consumption of alcoholic beverages. You agree that under no circumstances would we be responsible for any damages resulting from your use of this information presented on our website. Not all information on this website is adequate or error-free either. Please DO NOT drink and drive. Instead, use a designated driver or a taxi service to assist you.
Leave a Reply