This Spicy Hummus Recipe is fresh, creamy and delicious! Prepare this easy dip for any gathering and watch your guests obsess.
This post is all about how to make this Spicy Hummus Recipe.
If you need a quick appetizer dip that happens to be insanely delicious, then this spicy hummus recipe is for you! It takes about ten minutes to prepare and will impress every guest’s taste buds who dives into its bowl.
And, while this dip has tons of flavorful dimensions, it’s still healthy. The dip mainly consists of chickpeas, tahini, garlic, and lemon.
There is great debate about where hummus originated from, with many countries in the Middle East wanting to take credit. Research suggests it would be almost impossible to say where hummus was invented. So, can anyone claim this famous spread?
The BBC interviewed writer and director Oren Rosenfield from Hummus! (the movie) and he believes, “Hummus is a Middle Eastern food claimed by all and owned by none.” In a nutshell, there is not enough evidence to pin down who created this chickpea dip, even though the Greeks would claim otherwise.
Let’s dive into all of the details on how to make this quick appetizer dip with just the right amount of spice. FYI, this snack recipe can be made for any party all year round!
Supremely Spicy Hummus Recipe
This hummus recipe calls for various flavors that add fresh notes of spice in every single bite. Take a look at the ingredients below. Each one plays a unique role in making this spicy hummus the BEST you’ll ever taste.
Homemade Spicy Hummus Ingredients:
- Garbanzo Beans, aka chickpeas are the main ingredient for the base of the hummus.
- Garlic, two cloves of garlic will add tons of flavor to the plain chickpeas.
- Sesame Oil, adds creaminess and bold flavor.
- Lemon Juice, this ingredient keeps things fresh.
- Cumin, this earthy spice sets the tone.
- Chili Powder, if you like roasted red chili hummus then you’ll appreciate this addition.
- Red Pepper Flakes, it wouldn’t be spicy hummus without these flakes.
- Ground Coriander, adds spicy sweetness with hints of citrus.
- Tahini, adds smoothness to the chickpea base and is included in all authentic hummus recipes.
Why Are Chickpeas The Best Type Of Bean For Hummus?
Equipment Needed For This Spicy Hummus Recipe:
- Large Basting Spoon (for serving)
- Colander Bowl (for draining the beans)
How To Make This Best Spicy Hummus Recipe, Step-By-Step
Step 1: Drain the garbanzo beans using a colander bowl. If using canned garbanzo beans, it’s necessary to drain the excess liquid.
Step 3: Blend the ingredients into a smooth paste. Add sea salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Step 4: Transfer the dip to a shallow serving bowl and serve with warm pita chips or wedges. You can purchase pita bread, slice it into wedges, brush olive oil on top and sprinkle each with sea salt. Toast them in the oven at 425 degrees F for 5 to 7 minutes.
Hummus Pro Tips: Prepare this dip one hour before serving for a more intense flavor. Once the spread is prepared, the ingredients marinate into tasty perfection. If you’d like the hummus to be fluffier add a teaspoon or two of water and mix until smooth.
Spicy Hummus Variation Recipes
If you’re looking for some spicy variations to this recipe, check out these ideas below. The great thing about this dip is that the ingredients can be altered depending on your preference.
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (similar to the store-bought brand, Sabra’s Supremely Spicy Hummus. You can follow my spicy hummus recipe as is and add 1/2 cup chopped roasted bell peppers if you’d like.
- Spicy Hummus Recipe Without Tahini – follow my recipe and omit the tahini.
Frequently Asked Questions For Supremely Spicy Hummus
How Can I Spice Up Plain Hummus?
This is a question many ask because while plain hummus is delicious, the spices add a tasty dimension to the dip and give it that wow factor. If you have plain store-bought hummus add the spices included in my recipe for a flavorful kick.
Why Is Hummus Bad For You?
The only thing that would make hummus terrible for you would be the sodium content. However, this can be monitored when making homemade hummus because you can control how much salt is added.
Is Spicy Hummus Really Good For You?
Yes! The main ingredient behind healthy hummus is chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans. These tender peas/beans have a ton of health benefits and happen to taste great too. Because they include a significant amount of plant-based protein, fiber, iron, and calcium serving this spicy hummus dip is a no-brainer!
How Do You Serve This Healthy Spicy Hummus Recipe?
In the Middle East, it’s tradition to serve it in a red clay bowl with raised edges. Or use a white shallow serving bowl if you prefer. Arrange warm pita chips around the bowl or pita wedges.
Is Spicy Hummus Better With Or Without Tahini?
Authentic hummus recipes most always include tahini. But if you’re not a fan of its tangy taste, leave it out. I’ve made hummus without it, and it still has a smooth consistency, and you can easily make up for its flavor with spices.
How Do You Add Heat To Hummus?
If you prefer warm hummus, place the dip into a saucepan over low heat and add a teaspoon or two of water. Stir the hummus until it is smooth and warm. You can use the microwave if you prefer.
How Do I Store/Freeze Spicy Hummus?
You can store the hummus in the refrigerator for up to four days. You can also freeze hummus in an airtight container. Allow the hummus to thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
Supremely Spicy Hummus Recipe
- Food Processor Or Ninja Bullet Blender
- Measuring spoons
- Shallow Serving Bowl
- Large Basting Spoon
- Colander Bowl
Ingredients For Spicy Hummus
- 15 ounces Garbanzo beans, drained.
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes (for mild spice, reduce to 1/2 tsp)
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- Sea Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
Instructions For Spicy Hummus
- Drain the garbanzo beans using the colander bowl.
- Add the garbanzo beans, spices, sesame oil, lemon juice, garlic, and tahini to a food processor or Ninja blender.
- Blend the ingredients into a smooth paste. Add sea salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the dip to a shallow serving bowl and serve with warm pita chips or wedges. You can purchase pita bread, slice it into wedges, brush olive oil on top and sprinkle each with sea salt. Toast them in the oven at 425 degrees F for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Tip: Prepare this dip one hour before serving for a more intense flavor. Once the spread is prepared, the ingredients marinate into tasty perfection.
Final Thoughts On This Supremely Spicy Hummus Recipe
I hope you enjoy this Spicy Hummus Recipe! It’s easy to make, healthy, and tastes insanely delicious. If you LOVED this recipe, please share it with friends and family. Be sure to follow career girl meets… on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for more home decor ideas, recipes, and gift guides.