This 3-ingredient Cherry Dump Cake is one of the best-tasting cobblers around! It’s made with a buttery cake mix and sweet cherry pie filling.
This post is all about how to make EASY Cherry Dump Cake.
If you love warm juicy cherries and a buttery cake mix crumble, then this Cherry Dump Cake recipe is for you! It’s the perfect cobbler-like dessert to make for a crowd and only requires three simple ingredients.
If you wish to add walnuts, pecans, or sliced almonds to the filling, that’s an option, along with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream. Because dump cakes are one of the easiest dessert recipes to make, it’s almost impossible to get it wrong.
This yummy cherry cobbler cake is a classic dessert favorite among many and one you’ll want to make over and over! The three main ingredients are so simple that you may already have them in your kitchen. Check out some dump cake tips and tricks below to elevate this famous fruit crumble.
Cherry Dump Cake
Why Is A Dump Cake Called A Dump Cake?
A dump cake is an easy American dessert that calls for the ingredients to be dumped into a pan or crock pot. It usually consists of a pie filling and a topping made from a box of cake mix.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1 Box Of Yellow or Vanilla Cake Mix, approximately 15-18 ounces.
- 3/4 Cup Of Salted Butter (1 and 1/2 sticks), melted.
- 2 Cans Of Cherry Pie Filling (21 ounces each)
- Vanilla Ice Cream (optional but recommended).
- Glass measuring cup with a spout for melting butter. The spout makes it easier to drizzle the melted butter on top of the dry cake mix.
- Sharp Knife – for chopping optional nuts.
Can I Make Cherry Dump Cake In A Crockpot?
Yes! If using a crockpot or slow cooker, you can bake the cake on high for two hours or on low for four hours.
How To Make This Cherry Dump Cake Recipe, Step-By-Step
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Coat the 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 3: Dump two cans of cherry pie filling into the pan and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
Step 4: Next, sprinkle a whole box of DRY cake mix on top of the cherries. One box will cover the 9 x 13 pan. Pat the dry cake mix down with your fingers.
Step 5: Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the whole top of the dry cake mix.
Step 6: Lastly, you can add the optional chopped nuts. Sprinkle them evenly on top of the melted butter.
Step 7: Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees F or until golden brown and bubbly.
Step 8: Serve each warm piece with an optional scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Dump Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes! Because this cake contains fruit, you must store it in the refrigerator.
How Do You Make A Cherry And Pineapple Dump Cake?
You’ll need one can of crushed pineapples (20 ounces) and one can of cherry pie filling (21 ounces). Dump the crushed pineapples into a 9 x 13 pan, then dump the cherry filling on top. Follow the rest of the steps in this recipe for adding the cake mix and melted butter and for the baking time.
How Do You Reheat Dump Cake?
Remove the cake from the refrigerator and cover the pan with foil. Next, put it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Can I Freeze A Dump Cake?
Yes! Be sure to place it in an airtight container before storing this cake in the freezer.
Can I Make This Cake Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! Just be sure to store it in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat the cake before serving it to guests because it tastes best warm.
What Other Cake Mixes Can I Use For This Dump Cake Recipe?
Yellow cake mix, vanilla, or chocolate complements cherry pie filling the best.
How Can I Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake?
Easy! Just use a chocolate cake mix instead of a yellow one.
Does Cherry Dump Cake With Pineapples Taste Good?
So good! But it’s up to you and your taste buds whether you prefer an all cherry dump cake or a combination of cherries and pineapples.
Is Duncan Hines The Best Cake Mix To Use For This Recipe?
Duncan Hines makes delicious cake mixes, but Pillsbury and Betty Crocker are also famously known. I don’t think you can go wrong here, but the experts at Good Housekeeping did their rankings, and Duncan Hines scored eight on the list for the ten best.
Can I Use Other Canned Fruit Fillings In This Dump Cake Recipe?
Cherry Dump Cake
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Glass measuring cup with a spout (preferred) – the spout makes it easier to drizzle the melted butter on top of the dry cake mix.
- Sharp knife for chopping optional nuts
Ingredients For Cherry Dump Cake
- 1 Box Yellow or Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup Salted Butter, melted (1.5 sticks)
- 2 cans Cherry Pie Filling (21 ounces each)
- 1/3-1/2 cups Chopped nuts – Pecans, walnuts, or Almond slices (optional).
- Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)
How To Make Cherry Dump Cake, Step-By-Step
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat the 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dump two cans of cherry pie filling into the pan and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- Next, sprinkle a whole box of DRY cake mix on top of the cherries. One box will cover the 9 x 13 pan. Pat the dry cake mix down with your fingers.
- Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the whole top of the dry cake mix.
- Lastly, you can add the optional chopped nuts. Sprinkle them evenly on top of the melted butter.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees F or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve each warm piece with an optional scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Final Thoughts On Cherry Dump Cake
This classic Cherry Dump Cake recipe is the perfect dessert to serve to your favorite crowd of people. Because it’s so easy to make and incredibly delicious, you may even want to experiment with other fruit pie fillings or different cake mix flavors.
Please share this dessert recipe with your friends and family on social media if you love it as much as I do! Follow career girl meets… on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for more home decor ideas, recipes, and gift guides.