Buttery, soft, chocolatey, and sweet, these Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies are unquestionably DELICIOUS and simple to make!
This post is all about how to make Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies.
Sugar cookie dough and chocolate chips are the BEST combinations! Because sugar cookies naturally have a melt-in-your-mouth texture, once you add the chips and bake them, you’ll have a sweet treat that’s not only tender and buttery but chocolatey too!
As you can read from the title, I used the word EASY because I did not make the sugar cookie dough entirely from scratch. I used a Betty Crocker mix and added a stick of salted butter, one egg, and a cup of semi-sweet chips (add more for an extra chocolatey effect!).
If you have a sugar cookie recipe you love and want to put in the extra time for a batch completely from scratch, that is no problem! Just don’t forget to add the chocolate.
The key to this recipe is not OVERBAKING the cookies. If a sugar cookie is overbaked, it can become quite hard after it cools and won’t be as delicious. Check out the step-by-step recipe below to ensure PERFECTLY soft and chewy Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies.
Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
What Is The Difference Between Chocolate Chip Cookies And Sugar Cookies?
What’s the difference in taste? A sugar cookie tastes buttery and soft in texture, while a chocolate chip cookie tastes crisp, soft, and buttery with the inclusion of chocolate. Sometimes chocolate chip cookies can also include nuts and raisins.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix, 17.5 ounces – I used the Betty Crocker brand, but you can use any sugar cookie mix. Just be sure to follow the ingredients listed on the back, as they may differ from those listed below.
- Salted Butter, 1 stick, aka 1/2 cup (softened).
- Large Egg, 1
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, 1 cup (Add another 1/2 cup if you want them extra chocolatey.)
- Cookie Scoop, 1.5 tbsp size (optional but helpful)
Should Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies Be Soft Or Crispy?
Excellent-tasting sugar cookies are soft and tender. Be sure not to over-mix the dough because this will result in a tough cookie. Instead, mix the ingredients just until they are incorporated.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies, Step-By-Step
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2: Add the sugar cookie mix, softened butter, and egg to a bowl. Using a stand or hand mixer, mix until the ingredients are incorporated.
Step 3: Mix the chocolate chips with the sugar cookie dough.
Step 4: Drop cookie dough balls onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The cookies should be spaced two inches apart. Each cookie dough ball should have 1.5 tbsp of dough for each. I used a cookie scoop to scoop out round dough balls to ensure accurate measuring.
Step 5: Bake the cookies at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Every oven works differently. The cookies should look golden brown around the edges and soft in the middle.
Step 6: Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove them and allow them to finish setting up on a wire cooling rack.
Tell Me What I Will Love About This Cookie Recipe!
- Insanely EASY.
- Soft, SWEET, & Chewy.
- Perfectly BUTTERY & Chocolatey.
Recipe FAQs & Expert Tips
What Else Can I Add To Sugar Cookies?
Besides adding chocolate chips, you could incorporate 1/2 cup of chopped pecans!
Is This Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Recipe From TikTok?
This recipe has been featured on TikTok in a different form.
How Do I Make My Cookies Perfectly Round?
I highly recommend investing in a cookie scoop! Not only can you get a round scoop of dough, but the scoop also ensures the cookies are the same size.
Do I Have To Chill The Dough?
Not for this particular recipe. Remember, this is an easy sugar cookie dough mix, and this recipe is not entirely from scratch.
Is Sugar Cookie Dough The Same As Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough?
No! Sugar cookie dough does not contain brown sugar like the chocolate chip cookie dough version.
Can You Decorate And Cut Out Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies?
Can I Make The Dough Ahead Of Time?
You can mix up the dough the day before, but store the sugar cookie dough in the refrigerator.
How Do I Store/Freeze These Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies?
You can store these cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to one week. If you want to freeze them, place them in the freezer in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to three months.
What Chocolate Chips Should I Use?
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe, but you could also try milk chocolate!
Easy Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- Measuring cups
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
- Cookie Scoop, 1.5 tbsp (optional but helpful)
- Wire Cooling Rack
Ingredients You'll Need For Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies:
- 1 Bag Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix, 17.5 ounces – You can use any sugar cookie mix. Just be sure to follow the ingredients listed on the back, as they may differ from those listed below.
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter (1 stick softened).
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Add another 1/2 cup if you want them extra chocolatey.)
How To Make Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies, Step-By-Step
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the sugar cookie mix, softened butter, and egg to a bowl. Using a stand or hand mixer, mix until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Mix the chocolate chips with the sugar cookie dough.
- Bake the cookies at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Every oven works differently. The cookies should look golden brown around the edges and soft in the middle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove them and allow them to finish setting up on a wire cooling rack.
Final Thoughts On Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
Combining Sugar cookies with chocolate chips is geniously delicious! The texture of a sugar cookie is incredibly soft and delicate, with sweet buttery notes. Adding a handful of chocolate chips corrupts the traditional sugar cookie in the BEST and most delectable way!
Share this recipe with friends and family on social media if you find it incredibly yummy. You can follow career girl meets… on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for more home decor ideas, recipes, and gift guides.