This cookie recipe is the BEST. Grab a box of yellow cake mix, 3 ingredients, and you’ll be serving homemade chocolate chip cookies in no time!
This post is all about how to make Yellow Cake Mix Cookies With Chocolate Chips.
If I had to describe the taste of these cookies in two words, it would be ridiculously delicious! Because this cookie recipe doesn’t call for as many ingredients as traditional chocolate chip cookies, it is so easy to throw together. And no, the taste is not compromised in any way. In my opinion, they are so much better!
Just grab a box of Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker yellow cake mix along with a few other ingredients, and you’ll have unbelievably moist and chewy chocolate chip cookies in under 20 minutes! Even though these cookies call for a cake mix, they still taste like chocolate chip cookies but with an extra creamier and buttery base. Add (optional) chopped nuts and premium Ghirardelli chocolate chips for a gourmet punch.
And don’t be ashamed to hand out this recipe to your party guests when they ask for it (because they will!). Let’s jump into this super easy recipe so you can start serving these addictive yellow cake mix cookies today!
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies With Chocolate Chips
Easy Cake Mix Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 Box Of Yellow Cake Mix – Any brand will do, think Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pillsbury. Each box contains a little over 15 ounces of mix.
- Vegetable Oil, 1/2 cup
- 2 Eggs, beaten.
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips, 1.5 cups – You can use any brand of course, but Ghirardelli’s premium semi-sweet chips are the best!
- Chopped nuts (optional), 1 cup – Pecans are great with this recipe because they’re buttery and compliment the yellow cake mix base perfectly.
- Sharp knife for finely chopping the pecans (nuts are optional)
- Parchment Paper, precut sheets are life-changing!
- Spoonula Spatula (optional)
- Cookie Scoop, equivalent to 2 tablespoons. (optional)
How To Make Yellow Cake Mix Cookies With Chocolate Chips, Step-By-Step
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Add the yellow cake mix, vegetable oil, and beaten eggs to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly. FYI, the batter will be sticky.
Step 3: Add the chocolate chips and optional chopped nuts to the batter and mix.
Step 4: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add a heaping spoonful (about two tablespoons) of yellow cake mix cookie dough to the sheet. Use a cookie scoop (for an accurate two tablespoons). Use a spoonula spatula for effectively scraping down the sides of the bowl. Space each cookie two inches apart. You should get 24 cookies.
Step 5: Bake for 12-14 minutes until edges are golden brown at 350 degrees F.
Step 6: Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. It’s essential to let the cookies cool on the rack for 5 to 10 minutes. This will allow them to form.
Tip: Serve these delicious and easy dessert cookies to guests warm or cool. P.S. They’re great for any time you need a sweet treat, and I promise people won’t stop talking about how AMAZING they taste!
FAQs For This Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
How Do You Make Cookie Dough Out Of Cake Mix?
Easy! Just add oil and eggs to the yellow cake mix. There is no need for flour, sugar, and all the extra additives that make traditional chocolate chip cookies.
Can You Subsitute Butter For Vegetable Oil In Cake Mix Cookies?
Yes! Melt the butter before adding it to the cake mix to avoid clumping. If you prefer to use oil but don’t want to use vegetable oil, you can use coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil as a healthier alternative.
Can I Use Another Kind of Cake Mix For This Recipe?
Absolutely! You can use any flavor cake mix you wish. This is totally up to you, and the mix’s flavor does not change the recipe’s ingredients. Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and Pillsbury have vanilla, red velvet, chocolate, funfetti, and so many more.
What Else Can I Do With A Cake Mix?
The possibilities are endless here! Think fudge, cinnamon rolls, cupcakes, and even birthday shots.
Can You Add Flavor To Yellow Cake Mix?
For more flavor, you could add dried fruit like cherries or raisins. I personally think it’s not necessary for this recipe!
What Size Cake Mix Do I Use To Make Yellow Cake Mix Cookies?
Most cake mixes are between 15 and 16 ounces, which is suitable for this recipe, so be sure to stick with that amount.
How Do I Store These Cookies?
These cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for about one week. To ensure moist cookies toss in 1/2 slice of bread (any kind) before sealing the container. The cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread, which keeps them nice and soft.
Can You Freeze These Cookies?
Tips For Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
Don’t Follow the Instructions On The Back Of The Cake Mix Box
It’s important you DO NOT follow the recipe on the back of the cake box. Only add the ingredients listed in this recipe. Also, the baking time listed in this cookie recipe is correct. DO NOT follow the baking times on the cake mix box.
Why Use A Cookie Scoop?
Cookie scoops help give you an exact amount, which will keep each cookie identical. This recipe calls for about two tablespoons of cookie dough for each cookie which falls in line with a 12 to 14 minute baking time and will give you 24 cookies.
Parchment Paper Tips
Using parchment paper helps the cookies bake evenly, and you won’t have to worry about them breaking when you remove them from the sheet because the paper has non-stick qualities. I swear by pre-cut parchment paper! It makes life so much easier in the kitchen.
A parchment paper hack that helps is to sprinkle water on top of the baking sheet before placing down the parchment paper. This will allow it to cling to the baking sheet and lay flat instead of curling up.
Why Cooling Racks Are Essential For Baking Cookies
A wire cooling rack allows the air to circulate while the cookie is cooling. These racks help to avoid sweat forming underneath the cookie as well. Also, you wouldn’t want to leave the cookie to cool on the baking sheet because it would continue to bake and then become overdone.
Allow the cookies to cool on the rack for 5 to 10 minutes before serving them warm. This process ensures the cookies will have shape and won’t crumble apart.
Variation Cake Mix Cookie Recipes:
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies With Chocolate Chips
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Sharp knife for chopping optional nuts
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment paper
- Cooling Rack
- Spoonula Spatula (optional)
- Cookie Scoop, equivalent to 2 tablespoons, (optional).
- 1 Box of Yellow Cake Mix, 15-16 ounces.
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1.5 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Chopped pecans (optional)
How To Make Yellow Cake Mix Cookies, Step-By-Step
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the yellow cake mix, vegetable oil, and beaten eggs to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly. FYI, the batter will be sticky.
- Add the chocolate chips and optional chopped nuts to the batter and mix.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add a heaping spoonful (about two tablespoons) of yellow cake mix cookie dough to the sheet. Use a cookie scoop (for an accurate two tablespoons). Use a spoonula spatula for effectively scraping down the sides of the bowl. Space each cookie two inches apart. You should get 24 cookies.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until edges are golden brown at 350 degrees F.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. It’s essential to let the cookies cool on the rack for 5 to 10 minutes. This will allow them to form.
Final Thoughts On Yellow Cake Mix Cookies With Chocolate Chips
If you need a quick and delicious cookie snack, this Yellow Cake Mix Cookie recipe is the perfect solution! Enjoy these dessert cookies for any occasion and watch people go crazy.