What are the most important bathroom essentials? Check out the list below to ensure your home bathroom is stocked and stylish!
This post is all about Bathroom Essentials.
Why are bathroom essentials so commonly essential? Because whether you’re moving into your first house, first apartment, or college dorm room, it’s crucial to have a properly stocked bathroom with stylish decor.
It’s also vital that these essentials give off a clean, clutter-free, and inviting feel for guests and everyone else who lives in the home. These nine category essentials will ensure that every bathroom has the right supplies, correct decor, and storage to provide organization.
Most of us have had at least one cringy experience at a public restroom, and you can always tell when one is neglected. The most obvious signs are trash on the floor, no extra tp, and funky smells. And I think after 2020, we can all agree that entering a clean, germ-free bathroom is a high priority.
With this bathroom essentials list, you’ll feel confident about entertaining, knowing that the smallest room in your home is well accounted for. Let’s dive into these nine bathroom essential categories so you can live and entertain with ease and pride.
9 Bathroom Essentials: The Checklist Every Home Needs
What Are The Three Types Of Bathrooms?
It’s important to know what type of bathroom you’re purchasing essentials for because not every bathroom is created equal. Larger bathrooms will have more room for storage, while smaller ones may have more of a decor focus depending on their location in the home.
1. Full Bathroom
The bathroom in the master bedroom or primary bedroom (the new widely used term for master) usually has a full bathroom comprised of four components: a toilet, sink, shower, and bathtub. Sometimes the toilet is enclosed in its own space with another door for privacy.
2. Three-Quarter Bathroom
Three-quarter bathrooms are often located in the hallways of a home or near guest rooms. This layout usually includes three components: a sink, toilet, and a separate shower or separate bathtub. This bathroom type is an excellent opportunity to get creative with decor while maximizing space for toiletries.
Half-bathrooms in the home typically includes a toilet and sink. Sometimes they’re referred to as the powder room or guest bathroom. Because this tends to be a small space, you’ll want to consider that when picking out fixtures, cabinets, and sinks. The design of this bathroom must make guests feel comfortable and welcomed.
1. Mirror, Mirror On The Wall
The Most Important Design Essential Of Any Bathroom.
Why is seeing your own reflection so important? According to Psychology Today, mirrors help us regulate our emotions and sync up with ourselves and others.
And I can almost guarantee you that if you walked into a bathroom with no mirrors it wouldn’t feel right, AT ALL. We don’t realize how much we depend on bathroom mirrors to touch up hair, and makeup and also to reassure our sense of self even if looking into one can be difficult on some days.
Investing in a high-quality bathroom mirror is so crucially essential. According to HGTV, the three mirrors listed below are some of the best bathroom mirrors to buy.
- Pivot Wall Mirrors – This pretty mirror ensures you’ll find your best angle.
- Scalloped Framed Mirror – Packed with style and easy to install!
- Simple Human Wall-Mounted Sensor Mirror – The Simple Human brand always delivers the BEST quality mirrors. I own their mini-magnification mirror, and you can see every single detail on your face and more!
2. Essential Bathroom Lights
The Bathroom Essential For Every Home, Apartment, Or College Dorm.
So, what lights are best for the bathroom? According to Bob Vila, one of the most trusted names in home improvement, bathroom lights must capture a person’s skin, hair, and outfits in detail, so it’s best to choose bulbs that emit white-colored light.
Opt for incandescent LED or CFL bathroom light bulbs with a color temperature of 3500K – 4100K (kelvins), usually labeled “Cool White/ Bright White” or 5000K – 6500K labeled “Daylight.” These specific bulbs will give color accuracy like daylight. He also recommends looking for bulbs with a color rendering index (CRI) of 90 to 100 because a CRI value close to 100 will replicate midday daylight, so colors remain authentic and natural.
Bathroom light fixtures are also crucial for style. When shopping for these fixtures, keep in mind the size of your bathroom because a smaller space may only have room for vanity lights above the primary mirror. Check out the top three style lights for bathrooms, according to HGTV design experts.
3. Bathroom Essentials And Organization
Small And Large Organization Sets.
A clutter-free, organized bathroom is crucial because you, your family members, and guests need to be able to find essentials with ease. Buying functional organizational storage will be determined by the activity in the bathroom.
More storage is often needed for makeup, hair appliances, and other products if it’s a primary bathroom. If it’s a three-quarter bathroom, then organizational space may be tight, so you’ll have to get creative to keep clutter at bay. Since you won’t need supplies for showers for a half-bath, the most important thing is that it feels clean, organized, and welcoming.
Below are some organization ideas for every bathroom, depending on its size. Be sure to measure the space accurately so the cabinets and shelves fit as if they were built and designed for your home.
Bathroom Organizational Options:
- Shelves – Floating shelves work great in a bathroom but make sure you keep them clutter-free and store nice things on them because they will be visible to guests.
- Shelving Unit above the toilet – Great for storing extra TP, towels, and Kleenex boxes.
- Wall Mount Ladder Shelf – Beautiful CB2 knockoff.
- Waterproof Shower Caddy Bag with handles – Great for college and for storing kid’s bath toys.
- Cabinet Door Storage Baskets For Styling Tools – A great way to organize styling products and tools inside the cabinet door so it’s not visible to guests.
- Free-Standing Cabinets – A great idea for creating more storage, but only if you have the space.
- Mason Jar Bathroom Accessories Set – You can store cotton balls, Q-tips, makeup, and more!
- Bathroom Drawer Dividers – Keep Toothbrushes, toothpaste, and makeup organized in one spot.
- Turntable/Lazy Susan – Great for storing products, vitamins, and other items. Keep these hidden inside cabinets.
4. Basic Bathroom Essentials And More!
The Master List.
Some bathroom accessories listed below will depend on you and your home’s needs. Not all items are mandatory, so keep that in mind when shopping and checking things off your list.
- TubShroom Drain Hair Catcher – Hands down, the best for grabbing hairs before they clog your shower drain.
- Shower Water Filter – My Fave.
- The Squatty Potty – If you know, you know.
- Illumibowl – Motion-Activated lamp for the toilet. Great for kids and adults.
- Best Bath Mat (Non-Slip)
- Best Toilet Plunger, According to New York Magazine this is the best one but, whatever you do, keep this hidden!
- Toilet Paper – When stocking your guest bathroom with tp, if you can, make sure it’s the good stuff like Charmin. Ultra-soft, high-quality toilet paper matters.
- The Best Bathroom Trash Can – According to New York Magazine, The Simple Human Trash Can is one of the best. Keep this hidden by the toilet, and if you can’t, purchase a smaller trash can that is not super visible.
5. The Best Bathroom Towels
Bathroom Towel Sets.
Investing in high-quality towels that feel good and hold up with multiple washes is essential. This is an instance where you get what you pay for, so keep that in mind when shopping.
According to Forbes, below are some of the best bathroom towels. There’s a little mix of everything for the person who likes ultra-plush, lightweight, or budget-friendly but still with great quality.
6. Bathroom Essentials And Window Privacy
Bathroom Privacy Is Essential.
If you have windows in your bathroom, be sure to have blinds so there is plenty of privacy for family members and guests. Nothing makes people more uncomfortable than the worry of a peeping Tom. Check out three attractive, easy-to-install window blind options below.
7. Bathroom Cleaning Essentials Checklist
List Of Cleaning Bathroom Items From A To Z.
According to Good Housekeeping and The Spruce, below are eight cleaning supplies you’ll need to keep all bathrooms in your home squeaky clean. Martha Stewart suggests cleaning your bathrooms at least once a week because they’re highly-trafficked areas with many germs.
- Best Overall Bathroom And Shower Cleaner: Microban 24-Hour Bathroom Cleaner And Sanitizing Spray
- Best Cleaner For Toilets: Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner With Bleach
- Best Toilet Brush: Marbarsse Toilet Brush With Curved Design
- Best Bathroom Cleaner For Soap Scum: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Bath Scrubber
- Best Bathroom Cleaner For Mold And Germs: Kaboom Mold & Mildew Stain Remover W/Bleach
- Best Cleaner For Bathroom Tile: Clorox Scentiva Wet Mopping Cloths
- Best Cleaner For Mirrors: Sprayway Glass Cleaner
- Best Wipes: Scrubbing Bubbles Flushable Wipes
8. Signature Scents And Bathroom Essentials
Spa Bathroom Essentials.
It doesn’t take much effort to add refreshing scents to the bathroom to make guests and family members feel comfortable and welcomed. Below are the top bathroom scents, according to the experts!
- Poo-Pourri Before-You-Go Toilet Spray – EVERYONE is raving about this spray! Before you go, spray it in the toilet, and consumers swear it masks all scents so NO ONE will ever know.
- Best Bathroom Candle – Ocean Mist & Sea Salt Nest Candle. These are the BEST.
- Nest Reed Diffuser With Black Sticks – Yes, they’re pricey, but they smell lovely and last much longer than a cheaper brand. For a smaller bathroom without a window, they’ll last six months, and for a larger bathroom, three to four months.
- Fresh Flowers or A Live Plant – They give life to a bathroom, especially one that doesn’t have a window. Live plants or flowers give off oxygen and a clean and inviting feel.
9. Guest Bathroom Essentials
For Men And Women.
Give your guests a few essentials to freshen up comfortably when they visit your bathroom. Like when you go to those fancy restaurants or clubs, they offer you mints, mouthwash, perfume, floss, and gum. You can even leave a note or small sign to let them know it’s a guest tray for them.
Guest Tray Or Basket:
FAQs For Bathroom Essentials
What Are The Five Pieces In A Bathroom?
A five-piece bathroom, commonly referred to as a full bathroom, has five plumbing fixtures. These types of bathrooms often include two sinks, one toilet, a bath, and a shower.
What Is The Most Essential Part Of A Bathroom?
There is not just one essential part of a bathroom. The categories listed in this article are all essential for a fully functioning bathroom with some of them being bonus items.
What Are The Most Common Accessories You Can Put In A Bathroom?
The most common accessories would be a mirror, good lighting, toilet paper, hand soap, and towels for drying the hands.
Can You Buy Bathroom Essentials On Amazon?
Absolutely! They have a ton of bathroom essentials to choose from including cleaning products, shelving, towels, and more!
What Is The Meaning Of Bathroom Essentials?
The definition of bathroom essentials is anything that makes the bathroom fully functioning for yourself, family members, and guests.
Will This Checklist Work For College Dorm Bathroom Essentials?
Can I Use This Checklist If I’m Moving Into My First Apartment?
Of course! Just be sure to measure furniture and maximize space the best you can while keeping the bathroom clutter-free and organized.
What Are Some Small Bathroom Essentials?
Investing in organization racks, drawer dividers, and cabinet/storage units will maximize space for a small bathroom. It’s important to give the appearance that the restroom is more significant than it is, so invest in a plant or two and have some lovely scents that make the space feel clean and welcoming.
Can I Use This Checklist For Office Bathroom Essentials?
This checklist will be helpful for office bathroom essentials but keep scents clean and design choices professional. Also, invest in a suitable trash can if possible.
Should My Bathroom Essentials Reflect A Minimalist Design?
Yes! A bathroom should be void of clutter and decor kept to a minimum. You want guests to feel welcomed but also have the feeling that it’s clean and free of germs. Put touches of your personality throughout the bathroom with artwork, wallpaper, scents, and flowers/plants.
Final Thoughts On Bathroom Essentials
I hope you found this article on Bathroom Essentials helpful! It can be stressful when you need to stock a bathroom for the first time or even revamp an existing one in your home.
Just remember, a couple of essential keys to a great bathroom are avoiding clutter and keeping the bathroom clean. Store cleaning supplies close by so you can quickly wipe down the bathroom and toilet when you’re on a time crunch.
Please share this article on social media with friends and family if you found it useful. Follow career girl meets… on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for more home decor ideas, recipes, and gift guides.